Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March 18th

Hello everyone~ We are having a beautiful day here in Ukraine. It is sunny and the weather feels great. We have not had to even wear our hats or gloves since we have been here so far. Sorry, if my post have been kind of choppy, we have been posting from an internet cafe that has a time limit, but have now found one that does not. Our facilitator called us this morning and there has been a change of plans in transportation to get to Donestk. To make a long story short...it is going to turn out to be best for us to drive to the region instead of taking the train. The town that the orphanage is in is about an hour away from the city of Donestk, so we would still have to find a car to take us there once we got off the train. In the process, you change facilitators when you go to the orphanage and our new facilitator is going to drive us there...so we will have 5 people riding in a Camry to the region. The bad news is that there will not be room for our nanny for Grant the first day at the orphanage, so we will not be able to take her. We feel confident that a new plan will work out. The GREAT news is that it was going to be 10 hrs by train overnight and now he is picking us up at 5:00 a.m. and it will be about a 6 hr drive instead :) The pediatrician will still be able to go with us and we should still be able to visit her at the orphanage tomorrow.

We have had a great time with one of our facilitators here. He has really showed us around and we ate dinner with him last night at his house and had homemade grape juice from his vinyard. He has 3 children 2 of them speak Ukrainian and English, so Grant had a BLAST with them! We even rode with him to pick them up from school and we got to go inside and all see what a Ukrainian school looks like.

When our facilitator is not with us, we have had a funny time trying to order meals...I wish you could have seen Jason at McDonalds yesterday trying to order for Grant. There was about (no exageration) 50 people waiting to order and Jason was trying to do the best he could. We actually ended up with the right things. Grant asked if next time, he could get it with no pickle or onion...now, he is pushing it! Also, we had to stand at table to eat because there was no room and sometimes I forget that people can't understand me and I will comment to them, like when I was trying to ask these ladies if they wanted to squeeze in beside us and they just stared at me and walked off. Jason started laughing and said in his best southern accent "You do know they don't understand when you say YA'LL WANNA SQUEEZE ON IN" I have had to laugh at myself a few times!

I know that you are probably tired of hearing about the jet lag, but it is a big thing for us right now. I thought things were getting a little better and then last night I was actually sleeping pretty well until Jason and Grant got up at 1:00 a.m. and decided that they were both hungry and went to the kitchen and ate everything they could. Then, they started going through suitcases and when I asked them what they were doing, they said we are looking for Grants schoolwork to do because we can't sleep. I said, "FOR THE LOVE..PEOPLE CAN WE NOT JUST CLOSE OUR EYES" They thought that was extremely funny and then we were up again most of the night.

I havent had a chance to reply to comments because of the time limit, but I want to tell you that we read each and everyone. I was tearing up in the internet cafe reading them all. It is very encouraging to hear from each of you...friends, family, the ones that we have met in Ukraine, and the ones we are just meeting on the blog!
Reply to some comments:

Mom~ we are glad Max is doing well...Grant looks at his pic everyday...he really misses him! No more teeth loose :) How is Tiff? Has she driven by herself yet?

Dad~ I know what you mean about getting teary eyed...except for mine has to be in public :) Thanks for all the encouragement and prayers.

Niki~ I hope you are feeling better!

Christy G (AKA Miss Jackson and Flonase) We have gotten all the inside jokes LOL, just havent been able to reply to them until now...tell Bryan that MC Frogger thought about buying him some crab chips and re living Myrtle Beach, haha! Luv- Tamiflu

For all the post from ones that have adopted and are in the process with us...we can't tell ya how great it is to hear from you!

Thanks again for each person that prayed at the time of our appointment even though it was in the middle of the night for you!

Also, wanted you to know that Jason is reading each comment too, but would rather me post, so what I post is on behalf of both of us :)

Once we are in the new region...I will post as soon as I can find internet access and try to send more pics next time. Not sure what the conditions will be there. Love~ Mel

24 comments:

niki said...

It sounds like you are all having a wonderful time there! I have faith that Grant and Jason will sleep eventually. Tell Grant I am especially excited for him becoming a big brother! I'ts a very special thing! Take care.

Unknown said...

We here at Continuity are keeping an eye on what's going on with you guys. We are so pleased that things are going so well and pray that they continue to. Enjoy and safe travel!

TrishGastineau said...

Hi Guys! I'm glad to read about your adventure. The jet lag is worst going to the East, so you shouldn't experience it as much on your way home. Tif drove Kelly to Youth this weekend and they all arrived in one piece. :->

Anonymous said...

Well I hate that you'll miss the awesome train ride! Although I think that Grant probably would have loved the train, I'm pretty sure that you and Jason will definitely prefer the car! :) We continue to pray for you guys. Prov. 3:5,6

Anonymous said...

бог службове в контроль

I went to a Ukrainian/English Dictionary to translate...I'm sure it isn't accurate, but it says, "God is in control" I look forward to your updates...I think that maybe you have the sleep mix up because you'll be home soon! Hope so at least...

GiGi a.k.a said...

Tiff is driving so well that I may have to talk to Jason when he arrives back home...lol The girls are having a great time in the Tahoe. I have finally learned how to pray and rest in the Lord where the driving is concerned. It's a miracle for me, however, we still may need to buy the GPS and hide under the Tahoe...lol Really, all is well. Your in our prayers much continuously throughout the day.
Isaiah 65:24 And it shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer, and while they are yet speaking, I will hear. Our Heavenly Father answers His childen's prayers, and knows our hearts by living through his words. To know his promises is to know His great Love for us and it will teach us of the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of Him and his precious son Jesus. Read Isaiah 26:3 Enjoy tomorrow, I love you all. GiGi

Ken said...

When you get to Donetsk, there is an internet cafe called the Matrix, it is actually half bar, half internet, but it was the cleanest and closest to downtown we could find. Just ask around, when we were there, there were not many of them. Also you need to eat at Tequila Boom, great Mexican food cheap, with ice, or at 3 Fatso, both have english menus and are close to the Don'Blast Plaza Hotel downtown, near the park.

jody said...

Mel, It sounds like everything is going as planned. I am so happy for you, Jason, and Grant. Tell the boys Hello. Take care and we will see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hey, we are so excited. First thing I do when I get home from work is sign onto your site. Then I call Muh and tell her what it says. I know you are anxious to get to the orphanage. No matter what child you bring home, it is such a wonderful thing and will be looovvvved. I know Grant is excited. He will probably get into the new sleep habit just in time to come back to the states. Love you.

Jacob said...

Mmmm hellurh!

I'm so glad to hear things are going well. Can't wait to hear more! :)

Jacob

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

Hey Guys! I'm so glad you have created this blog. It's been great keeping up with you all and being able to know how things are going with you guys. Southern accents and all!! :O) I think about you everyday and hope things keep going great. Love you guys!

Julie Coker

GiGi a.k.a said...

I have a question...I've never heard of someone visiting a vineyard in Ukraine, and having grape juice. And I know the Eucarus(sp)(not Catholic, but love all). was not offered either. But I will let this slide since the jetlag has been so trying...lol And McDonald ladies running from getting a squeeze. Grant will still be doing homework at 1:00 A.M., and Jason loving every minute. The only way I know about the vineyards is from Jacob (world class traveller). Speaks many languages too. Can you buy that grape juice in airport. Would love to have some...lol Better yet, get the priest to email me from Donetsk concerning this matter. J/K
Today, remember Christ has ordered your footsteps, and he walks with you. Your not alone. Follow your hearts, as his heart beats with yours. Fasting and praying today. Also thanking him for all he is teaching us, and is about to do for his Glory and Kingdom. Hope you see some interesting things driving, and look forward to pics. love ya'll, Mom

John, Lisa, James, & Anna said...

We are so excited for you! We were in Jacksonville when you left and said prayers for your safe trip. Now we need to say some for the jet lag! Anna lost her first tooth while we were in Jax. The tooth fairy travels everywhere doesn't she? We will continue to say prayers for safe travel and we can't wait to meet your new baby girl! Love ya- Lisa, John, James, & Anna

Trish said...

Hi guys,
I am soooooo loving your comments and get excited to read them as they come in. I miss you guys and I am so happy you made it there safe. Grant, you are such a special little boy, I pray you find a good way to use your money before you leave for all those little children. Jason I hope you found some coffee......Melanie I know it is all over whelming for you all, I would love tohear the things that drew you to both decideing that little girl was the right one...... I know you will put one in the suitcase for me, maybe two....haha I am so excited for you. I am in tears daily as I read your post. Wishing I was there to help you in a ny way. What a bonding time for you all. Melanie I cant believe you met those people about the church....if you go take olots of pics and get some good CD's WOW what another incredible experience. I love you all and cant wait to see your beautil child. keep the post coming.....love you Trisha

Lauren said...

Hey Jason and Mel, We are praying for you so much. i talked with Susan today after you did and she filled me in on what's going on. I know God BEST will be done!
I wanted to let you know that I'm taking my laptop to church tonight and hopefully the next message that you get from me will be for Grant from the kids at church! So be on the look out.
Some of the best advice ever given to me was: Put on your under armor of LOVE and the full armor of God and dig you heals in and hold on for the ride that God has for you!
I love you all and miss you very much, Lauren

joannapaige said...

Mel, Jason & Grant....it has been wonderful hearing about all your adventures and to think that there are still many more to come! I can't wait to hear more! I am so excited to hear / read about the next steps & appointments. Ya'll are such a wonderul example of that many of us could follow as parents, friends, & more than anything children of Christ! This child is going to be one very lucky child to have you Melanie as a MOTHER, you Jason as a FATHER, & of course you Grant as a BIG BROTHER! We can't wait to meet this new child that you bring home! We will continue to say our little prayer each night that the lords work will be short & sweet! We love you!

KathyWilson said...

Hey Wormy(Grant)! DD and I miss you all. Saw Tif driving :). Praying and praising the Lord for all He is doing. Psalm 103.
Jason and Melanie blessings from Montgomery.

Unknown said...

sup yall are previet.its ya boi c-dogg on the world wide web just postin up n dis peace.wanted to send a shout out 2 da halls hope everything is going well and tell yall i love you.when i get off work ill try to read your blogs and try to hit yall back ight den

Trish said...

The Lord will satisfy your needs. You will be like a well watered garden. Isaiah 58:11

You will go out in joy and be led fourth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you. Isaiah 55:12

Love you guys and cant wait to hear an update. Hey Grant miss you buddy.......Love Trisha

Susan said...

Hey Melanie,
How are you today? I am praying constantly and will write longer later. Love, Susan

GiGi a.k.a said...

To my wonderful kids...that includes you Grant. Well, Max is doing great. He sleeps with me everynight, and loves to do our morning play. Tiff is taking him on walks. The fence is completed, and the yard is looking nice. Tried to get Max and Dil out today some. Jacob is coming I believe on Saturday...Meme is doing as usual, a pinch here and there...lol As good as can be expected. I will call her tonight. Just wanted to let you know all is well here, and your in my prayers continuously. Grant you may need to blog us on the food in the Ukraine. I hope McDonalds has chicken. If not, you can get plenty when you get back home. In fact, you know how you like to write books, and do a good job at it. I can look forward to a new book when you get home. Hope your drawing some too, your a great artist. I love you. GiGi

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel, Jason, and Grant. I look several times everyday to see if there is a new post. I guess I'm too much like the kid in the back seat hollerin', "are we there yet?" every five minutes. We had a birthday cupcake for Pat at church last nite. She blew out the candle on the first try. I google earthed Kiev last nite and tried to follow the highway to Donetsk. I got tired about halfway there. It looked like nice country on the computer. Hope it is as pretty in real life. Wherever your travels take you, I know God is leading the way and taking care of you every step. I pray God will strengthen you all, and keep you in His love and peace. Love Dad, a.k.a. Papaw

Trish said...

Good to hear from you Melanie and Jason and Grant..... sounds like you have some wonderfull friends there to be around while you are all there. So sorry to hear about your sad news, but there is a special place for that little girl and God knows just where it is.....I know you are going through some of the toughest times in your life but "We can do all things through Christ who gives us strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I so loved Grant's story on You tube, that was awesome,I just love his little laugh.... Grant I am so proud of you.....I love you
It was great to see you on you tube so we could see how ya'll were, altough Jason needs to join in too so we can see him too....
Keep your heads up and know God has that very special gift waiting on you very soon.... cant wait to hear again from you, love Trisha
Oh Grant maybe you can write a book or song for your new little brother or sister.....